共通テスト(英語) 過去問
令和5年度(2023年度)追・再試験
問23 (<旧課程>英語リーディング(第3問) 問8)
問題文
各問いの英文や図表を読み、解答番号にあてはまるものとして最も適当な選択肢を選びなさい。
You have entered an English speech contest and you are reading an essay to improve your presentation skills.
Gaining Courage
Rick Halston
In my last semester in college, I received an award for my final research presentation. I wasn’t always good at speaking in front of people; in fact, one of my biggest fears was of making speeches. Since my primary school days, my shy personality had never been ideal for public speaking. From my first day of college, I especially feared giving the monthly class presentations. I would practise for hours on end. That helped somewhat, but I still sounded nervous or confused.
A significant change came before my most important presentation when I watched a music video from my favourite singer’s newly released album. I noticed it sounded completely different from her previous work. She had switched from soft−rock to classical jazz, and her style of clothes had also changed. I thought she was taking a huge professional risk, but she displayed such confidence with her new style that I was inspired. I would change my sound and my look, too. I worked tirelessly to make my voice both bolder and calmer. I wore a suit jacket over my shirt, and with each practice, I felt my confidence grow.
When I started my final presentation, naturally, I was nervous, but gradually a sense of calm flowed through me. I was able to speak with
clarity and answer the follow−up questions without tripping over my words. At that moment, I actually felt confident. Right then, I understood that we can either allow anxiety to control us or find new ways to overcome it. There is no single clear way to become a confident presenter, but thanks to that singer I realised that we need to uncover and develop our own courage.
From the essay, you learnt that Rick ( 23 ).
You have entered an English speech contest and you are reading an essay to improve your presentation skills.
Gaining Courage
Rick Halston
In my last semester in college, I received an award for my final research presentation. I wasn’t always good at speaking in front of people; in fact, one of my biggest fears was of making speeches. Since my primary school days, my shy personality had never been ideal for public speaking. From my first day of college, I especially feared giving the monthly class presentations. I would practise for hours on end. That helped somewhat, but I still sounded nervous or confused.
A significant change came before my most important presentation when I watched a music video from my favourite singer’s newly released album. I noticed it sounded completely different from her previous work. She had switched from soft−rock to classical jazz, and her style of clothes had also changed. I thought she was taking a huge professional risk, but she displayed such confidence with her new style that I was inspired. I would change my sound and my look, too. I worked tirelessly to make my voice both bolder and calmer. I wore a suit jacket over my shirt, and with each practice, I felt my confidence grow.
When I started my final presentation, naturally, I was nervous, but gradually a sense of calm flowed through me. I was able to speak with
clarity and answer the follow−up questions without tripping over my words. At that moment, I actually felt confident. Right then, I understood that we can either allow anxiety to control us or find new ways to overcome it. There is no single clear way to become a confident presenter, but thanks to that singer I realised that we need to uncover and develop our own courage.
From the essay, you learnt that Rick ( 23 ).
このページは閲覧用ページです。
履歴を残すには、 「新しく出題する(ここをクリック)」 をご利用ください。
問題
反映中…
共通テスト(英語)試験 令和5年度(2023年度)追・再試験 問23(<旧課程>英語リーディング(第3問) 問8) (訂正依頼・報告はこちら)
各問いの英文や図表を読み、解答番号にあてはまるものとして最も適当な選択肢を選びなさい。
You have entered an English speech contest and you are reading an essay to improve your presentation skills.
Gaining Courage
Rick Halston
In my last semester in college, I received an award for my final research presentation. I wasn’t always good at speaking in front of people; in fact, one of my biggest fears was of making speeches. Since my primary school days, my shy personality had never been ideal for public speaking. From my first day of college, I especially feared giving the monthly class presentations. I would practise for hours on end. That helped somewhat, but I still sounded nervous or confused.
A significant change came before my most important presentation when I watched a music video from my favourite singer’s newly released album. I noticed it sounded completely different from her previous work. She had switched from soft−rock to classical jazz, and her style of clothes had also changed. I thought she was taking a huge professional risk, but she displayed such confidence with her new style that I was inspired. I would change my sound and my look, too. I worked tirelessly to make my voice both bolder and calmer. I wore a suit jacket over my shirt, and with each practice, I felt my confidence grow.
When I started my final presentation, naturally, I was nervous, but gradually a sense of calm flowed through me. I was able to speak with
clarity and answer the follow−up questions without tripping over my words. At that moment, I actually felt confident. Right then, I understood that we can either allow anxiety to control us or find new ways to overcome it. There is no single clear way to become a confident presenter, but thanks to that singer I realised that we need to uncover and develop our own courage.
From the essay, you learnt that Rick ( 23 ).
You have entered an English speech contest and you are reading an essay to improve your presentation skills.
Gaining Courage
Rick Halston
In my last semester in college, I received an award for my final research presentation. I wasn’t always good at speaking in front of people; in fact, one of my biggest fears was of making speeches. Since my primary school days, my shy personality had never been ideal for public speaking. From my first day of college, I especially feared giving the monthly class presentations. I would practise for hours on end. That helped somewhat, but I still sounded nervous or confused.
A significant change came before my most important presentation when I watched a music video from my favourite singer’s newly released album. I noticed it sounded completely different from her previous work. She had switched from soft−rock to classical jazz, and her style of clothes had also changed. I thought she was taking a huge professional risk, but she displayed such confidence with her new style that I was inspired. I would change my sound and my look, too. I worked tirelessly to make my voice both bolder and calmer. I wore a suit jacket over my shirt, and with each practice, I felt my confidence grow.
When I started my final presentation, naturally, I was nervous, but gradually a sense of calm flowed through me. I was able to speak with
clarity and answer the follow−up questions without tripping over my words. At that moment, I actually felt confident. Right then, I understood that we can either allow anxiety to control us or find new ways to overcome it. There is no single clear way to become a confident presenter, but thanks to that singer I realised that we need to uncover and develop our own courage.
From the essay, you learnt that Rick ( 23 ).
- began to deal with his anxiety
- decided to change professions
- improved his questioning skills
- uncovered his talent for singing
正解!素晴らしいです
残念...
画像拡大
この過去問の解説 (3件)
01
最も適切なのは、began to deal with his anxietyです。
これは「自分の不安に向き合い始めた」という意味です。
Rickはもともと、人前で話すことをとても怖がっていました。しかし、好きな歌手の姿に刺激を受けて、声の出し方や服装を変えながら練習し、少しずつ自信をつけました。
最後には、不安に支配されるのではなく、それを乗り越える方法を見つけることが大切だと気付いています。
「自分の不安に向き合い始めた」という意味です。
本文では、
「we can either allow anxiety to control us or find new ways to overcome it」
とあります。
これは、「不安に自分を支配させることもできるし、それを乗り越える新しい方法を見つけることもできる」という意味です。
Rickは、声を力強く落ち着いたものにしたり、服装を変えたりして、自分なりの方法で不安を乗り越えようとしました。
そのため、この内容が最もよく合っています。
「職業を変えることに決めた」という意味です。
本文には、Rickが仕事や職業を変えようとしたという内容はありません。
大きく変えたのは、発表するときの声や見た目です。
歌手が音楽のスタイルを変えたことに影響を受けていますが、Rick自身が職業を変えようとしたわけではありません。
「質問する力を向上させた」という意味です。
本文では、Rickは最後の発表で、
「answer the follow-up questions」
つまり、追加の質問に答えることができたとあります。
しかし、上達したのは質問する力ではなく、発表するときの話し方や自信です。
そのため、この内容は合いません。
「自分の歌の才能を発見した」という意味です。
Rickは好きな歌手から刺激を受けていますが、自分自身が歌ったり、歌の才能を見つけたりしたとは書かれていません。
本文の「sound」は、ここではRickの話し声や話し方についてのことです。
そのため、歌の才能を発見したという内容にはなりません。
この問題では、Rickが最後に何を学んだのかに注目することが大切です。
Rickはもともと人前で話すことに強い不安を感じていました。
しかし、
声や服装を変えて練習する
↓
少しずつ自信がつく
↓
発表中に落ち着いて話せるようになる
↓
不安を乗り越える方法を自分で見つけることが大切だと気付く
という変化がありました。
したがって、本文から分かるRickの変化を最もよく表しているのは、began to deal with his anxietyです。
参考になった数0
この解説の修正を提案する
02
問題文は
「エッセイから、Rickは( )だとわかりました。」
エッセイ全体から、Rickについて読み取る必要があります。
一つずつ確認していきましょう。
正解 「自分の不安を対処しはじめた」
プレゼンで緊張していたときのRickは、自分で落ち着きを取り戻し、このように述べていました。
Right then, I understood that we can either allow anxiety to control us or find new ways to overcome it.
(そのとき、私たちは、不安に私達をコントロールさせることもできるし、不安を克服する新しい方法を見つけられることもできると理解した。)
このように、不安に対応する方法を理解したことがわかります。
「職業を変えることを決めた」
「質問の技術を向上させた」
「歌の才能を開花させた」
参考になった数0
この解説の修正を提案する
03
このエッセイから、Rickが( 23 )であることが分かる。という問題です。
訳)
あなたは英語のスピーチコンテストに参加しており、発表のスキルを向上させるためあるエッセイを読んでいます。
勇気を身につけること
Rick Halston
大学の最後の学期に、私は卒業研究の最終プレゼンテーションで賞を受賞しました。しかし、もともと人前で話すのが得意だったわけではありません。実際、スピーチをすることは最大の恐怖の1つでした。小学校の頃から内気な性格の私は、人前で話すことに向いているとは言えませんでした。大学に入学した初日から、特に毎月行われる授業でのプレゼンテーションをとても恐れていました。私は何時間もかけて練習しました。多少役に立ちましたが、それでも緊張していたり、混乱しているように聞こえてしまいました。
・is goot at ~ing : ~ing することが得意
・ideal for ~ : ~に向いている
・somewhat : いくらか
・confused(形容詞) : 混乱した
最も重要なプレゼンテーションの前に大きな変化が起きました。それは好きな歌手が新しく発表したアルバムのミュージックビデオを見たときでした。その音楽は、彼女のこれまでの作品とはまったく違っていました。ソフトロックからクラシックジャズへと音楽スタイルを変え、服装のスタイルも変わっていました。私は、彼女が非常に大きな職業上のリスクを取っているのだと思いました。しかし、新しいスタイルをとても自身を持って表現しており、強く刺激を受けました。自分も声や見た目を変えてみようと思いました。声をより力強く、そして落ち着いたものにするために、懸命に練習しました。シャツの上にスーツのジャケットを羽織り、練習を重ねるたびに自信が増していくのを感じました。
・significant(形容詞) : 大した、重大な
・previous(形容詞) : 以前の
・switch from ~ to ~ : ~から~に変える
・professional(形容詞) : 職業上の
・display(動詞) : 表す
・tirelessly(副詞) : 疲れを知らずに
最終プレゼンテーションが始まったとき、当然ながら私は緊張していました。しかし次第に心が落ち着いていくのを感じました。私ははっきりと話すことができ、追加の質問にも言葉に詰まることなく答えることができました。その瞬間本当に自信があると感じました。そのとき、不安に支配されるか、それを乗り越える新しい方法を見つけるかは自分次第なのだと理解しました。自信のある発表者になる為の唯一の正解はありません。しかし、あの歌手のおかげで私たちは自分自身の中にある勇気を見つけ、それを育てていく必要があるのだと気付きました。
・flow(動詞) : 流れる
・trip over ~につまずく
・anxiety(名詞) : 不安
・overcome : 乗り越える
・uncover(動詞) : 見つける、発見する
正解
不安への対処を始めたという意味です。
2段落目の文末に、I worked tirelessly to make my voice both bolder and calmer. I wore a suit jacket over my shirt, and with each practice, I felt my confidence grow(自分も声や見た目を変えてみようと思いました。声をより力強く、そして落ち着いたものにするために、懸命に練習しました).さらに3段落目の中盤に、I understood that we can either allow anxiety to control us or find new ways to overcome it(不安に支配されるか、それを乗り越える新しい方法を見つけるかは自分次第なのだと理解しました).と記載があります。つまり、不安を完全になくしたわけではないが、向き合い対処し始めたことが明確に記載されているため正解です。
不正解
職業を変えることを決めたという意味です。
大学生のプレゼンテーションの内容で、進路変更ではないため不正解です。
不正解
質問する力を向上させたという意味です。
質問に答えたとは述べられていますが、主題は自信と不安の克服のため不正解です。
不正解
歌の才能に気付いたという意味です。
本文に記載がないため不正解です。
RIckは人前で話すことが怖く、不安を感じていました。しかし、歌手の大胆な変化に刺激を受け不安と向き合い自信を身につけ始めたことが述べられています。
参考になった数0
この解説の修正を提案する
前の問題(問22)へ
令和5年度(2023年度)追・再試験 問題一覧
次の問題(問24)へ