共通テスト(英語) 過去問
令和5年度(2023年度)追・再試験
問22 (<旧課程>英語リーディング(第3問) 問7)
問題文
各問いの英文や図表を読み、解答番号にあてはまるものとして最も適当な選択肢を選びなさい。
You have entered an English speech contest and you are reading an essay to improve your presentation skills.
Gaining Courage
Rick Halston
In my last semester in college, I received an award for my final research presentation. I wasn’t always good at speaking in front of people; in fact, one of my biggest fears was of making speeches. Since my primary school days, my shy personality had never been ideal for public speaking. From my first day of college, I especially feared giving the monthly class presentations. I would practise for hours on end. That helped somewhat, but I still sounded nervous or confused.
A significant change came before my most important presentation when I watched a music video from my favourite singer’s newly released album. I noticed it sounded completely different from her previous work. She had switched from soft−rock to classical jazz, and her style of clothes had also changed. I thought she was taking a huge professional risk, but she displayed such confidence with her new style that I was inspired. I would change my sound and my look, too. I worked tirelessly to make my voice both bolder and calmer. I wore a suit jacket over my shirt, and with each practice, I felt my confidence grow.
When I started my final presentation, naturally, I was nervous, but gradually a sense of calm flowed through me. I was able to speak with
clarity and answer the follow−up questions without tripping over my words. At that moment, I actually felt confident. Right then, I understood that we can either allow anxiety to control us or find new ways to overcome it. There is no single clear way to become a confident presenter, but thanks to that singer I realised that we need to uncover and develop our own courage.
Rick was moved by his favourite singer and ( 22 ).
You have entered an English speech contest and you are reading an essay to improve your presentation skills.
Gaining Courage
Rick Halston
In my last semester in college, I received an award for my final research presentation. I wasn’t always good at speaking in front of people; in fact, one of my biggest fears was of making speeches. Since my primary school days, my shy personality had never been ideal for public speaking. From my first day of college, I especially feared giving the monthly class presentations. I would practise for hours on end. That helped somewhat, but I still sounded nervous or confused.
A significant change came before my most important presentation when I watched a music video from my favourite singer’s newly released album. I noticed it sounded completely different from her previous work. She had switched from soft−rock to classical jazz, and her style of clothes had also changed. I thought she was taking a huge professional risk, but she displayed such confidence with her new style that I was inspired. I would change my sound and my look, too. I worked tirelessly to make my voice both bolder and calmer. I wore a suit jacket over my shirt, and with each practice, I felt my confidence grow.
When I started my final presentation, naturally, I was nervous, but gradually a sense of calm flowed through me. I was able to speak with
clarity and answer the follow−up questions without tripping over my words. At that moment, I actually felt confident. Right then, I understood that we can either allow anxiety to control us or find new ways to overcome it. There is no single clear way to become a confident presenter, but thanks to that singer I realised that we need to uncover and develop our own courage.
Rick was moved by his favourite singer and ( 22 ).
このページは閲覧用ページです。
履歴を残すには、 「新しく出題する(ここをクリック)」 をご利用ください。
問題
共通テスト(英語)試験 令和5年度(2023年度)追・再試験 問22(<旧課程>英語リーディング(第3問) 問7) (訂正依頼・報告はこちら)
各問いの英文や図表を読み、解答番号にあてはまるものとして最も適当な選択肢を選びなさい。
You have entered an English speech contest and you are reading an essay to improve your presentation skills.
Gaining Courage
Rick Halston
In my last semester in college, I received an award for my final research presentation. I wasn’t always good at speaking in front of people; in fact, one of my biggest fears was of making speeches. Since my primary school days, my shy personality had never been ideal for public speaking. From my first day of college, I especially feared giving the monthly class presentations. I would practise for hours on end. That helped somewhat, but I still sounded nervous or confused.
A significant change came before my most important presentation when I watched a music video from my favourite singer’s newly released album. I noticed it sounded completely different from her previous work. She had switched from soft−rock to classical jazz, and her style of clothes had also changed. I thought she was taking a huge professional risk, but she displayed such confidence with her new style that I was inspired. I would change my sound and my look, too. I worked tirelessly to make my voice both bolder and calmer. I wore a suit jacket over my shirt, and with each practice, I felt my confidence grow.
When I started my final presentation, naturally, I was nervous, but gradually a sense of calm flowed through me. I was able to speak with
clarity and answer the follow−up questions without tripping over my words. At that moment, I actually felt confident. Right then, I understood that we can either allow anxiety to control us or find new ways to overcome it. There is no single clear way to become a confident presenter, but thanks to that singer I realised that we need to uncover and develop our own courage.
Rick was moved by his favourite singer and ( 22 ).
You have entered an English speech contest and you are reading an essay to improve your presentation skills.
Gaining Courage
Rick Halston
In my last semester in college, I received an award for my final research presentation. I wasn’t always good at speaking in front of people; in fact, one of my biggest fears was of making speeches. Since my primary school days, my shy personality had never been ideal for public speaking. From my first day of college, I especially feared giving the monthly class presentations. I would practise for hours on end. That helped somewhat, but I still sounded nervous or confused.
A significant change came before my most important presentation when I watched a music video from my favourite singer’s newly released album. I noticed it sounded completely different from her previous work. She had switched from soft−rock to classical jazz, and her style of clothes had also changed. I thought she was taking a huge professional risk, but she displayed such confidence with her new style that I was inspired. I would change my sound and my look, too. I worked tirelessly to make my voice both bolder and calmer. I wore a suit jacket over my shirt, and with each practice, I felt my confidence grow.
When I started my final presentation, naturally, I was nervous, but gradually a sense of calm flowed through me. I was able to speak with
clarity and answer the follow−up questions without tripping over my words. At that moment, I actually felt confident. Right then, I understood that we can either allow anxiety to control us or find new ways to overcome it. There is no single clear way to become a confident presenter, but thanks to that singer I realised that we need to uncover and develop our own courage.
Rick was moved by his favourite singer and ( 22 ).
- accepted his own shy personality
- decided to go to her next concert
- found new ways of going to class
- learnt from her dramatic changes
正解!素晴らしいです
残念...
画像拡大
この過去問の解説 (3件)
01
最も適切なのは、learnt from her dramatic changesです。
これは「彼女の大きな変化から学んだ」という意味です。
Rickは、好きな歌手が音楽のジャンルや服装を大きく変え、それでも自信を持っている姿を見て刺激を受けました。そして、自分も話し方や見た目を変えて、自信を持とうと考えました。
そのため、Rickはその歌手の大きな変化から学んだといえます。
「自分の内気な性格を受け入れた」という意味です。
Rickはもともと内気で、人前で話すことを苦手としていました。
しかし、歌手を見た後は、その性格をそのまま受け入れたのではなく、自分を変えようと行動しています。
声をより力強く落ち着いたものにし、服装も変えています。
そのため、この内容は合いません。
「彼女の次のコンサートに行くことを決めた」という意味です。
本文では、Rickは好きな歌手のミュージックビデオを見ていますが、コンサートに行くことについては何も書かれていません。
Rickが影響を受けたのは、歌手が新しい音楽や服装に自信を持って挑戦する姿です。
そのため、この内容は本文から読み取れません。
「授業に行く新しい方法を見つけた」という意味です。
Rickが考えた新しい方法は、授業への行き方ではありません。
彼は発表に向けて、声を変えたり、服装を変えたりして、自信をつける方法を試しました。
したがって、この選択肢は本文の内容とは関係ありません。
「彼女の大きな変化から学んだ」という意味です。
歌手は、音楽をsoft-rockからclassical jazzに変え、服装のスタイルも変えていました。
Rickはその変化について、
「she displayed such confidence with her new style that I was inspired」
と述べています。
これは、彼女が新しいスタイルに自信を持っている姿を見て、Rickが刺激を受けたという意味です。
その結果、Rickも
「I would change my sound and my look, too.」
と考え、自分の話し方と見た目を変えました。
そのため、この選択肢が最も適切です。
この問題では、Rickが好きな歌手の何に影響を受けたのかを確認することがポイントです。
歌手は、
音楽のジャンルを大きく変えた
↓
服装も変えた
↓
新しいスタイルに自信を持っていた
という姿を見せています。
Rickはその姿に刺激を受け、自分も話し方や見た目を変えました。
したがって、
was inspired by her changes
↓
learnt from her dramatic changes
と考えることができます。
最も適切なのは、learnt from her dramatic changesです。
参考になった数0
この解説の修正を提案する
02
問題文は
「Rickは有名な歌手に感動し、( )。」
です。
歌手と、Rickに関する記述は、
She had switched from soft−rock to classical jazz, and her style of clothes had also changed. I thought she was taking a huge professional risk, but she displayed such confidence with her new style that I was inspired. I would change my sound and my look, too. I worked tirelessly to make my voice both bolder and calmer
(彼女は、ソフトロックからクラシックジャズへとシフトし、服装のスタイルも変わった。私は、彼女(歌手)が、大きなプロのリスクをとったが、彼女は、私が感銘をうけるような新しいスタイルで自信を示した。私も、声や見た目を変えました。声をもっと大胆にかつ落ち着いたものにするように、絶えず努めた。)
とあります。
感動した後のことが問われているので、I was inspiredの後に答えがあるとわかります。
そのあとは、Rickは、見た目や振る舞いを変えており、その内容に合うものを選びます。
「自分の内気な性格を受け入れる」
「次のその歌手のコンサートに行くことを決めた」
「授業に行く新しい手段を見つけた」
正解 「彼女の劇的な変化から学んだ」
彼女の変化から学び、自身も変化させたため、正解と言えます。
参考になった数0
この解説の修正を提案する
03
Rickは好きな歌手に心を動かされ、そして( 22 )。という問題です。
・move(動詞) : 感動する
訳)
あなたは英語のスピーチコンテストに参加しており、発表のスキルを向上させるためあるエッセイを読んでいます。
勇気を身につけること
Rick Halston
大学の最後の学期に、私は卒業研究の最終プレゼンテーションで賞を受賞しました。しかし、もともと人前で話すのが得意だったわけではありません。実際、スピーチをすることは最大の恐怖の1つでした。小学校の頃から内気な性格の私は、人前で話すことに向いているとは言えませんでした。大学に入学した初日から、特に毎月行われる授業でのプレゼンテーションをとても恐れていました。私は何時間もかけて練習しました。多少役に立ちましたが、それでも緊張していたり、混乱しているように聞こえてしまいました。
・is goot at ~ing : ~ing することが得意
・ideal for ~ : ~に向いている
・somewhat : いくらか
・confused(形容詞) : 混乱した
最も重要なプレゼンテーションの前に大きな変化が起きました。それは好きな歌手が新しく発表したアルバムのミュージックビデオを見たときでした。その音楽は、彼女のこれまでの作品とはまったく違っていました。ソフトロックからクラシックジャズへと音楽スタイルを変え、服装のスタイルも変わっていました。私は、彼女が非常に大きな職業上のリスクを取っているのだと思いました。しかし、新しいスタイルをとても自身を持って表現しており、強く刺激を受けました。自分も声や見た目を変えてみようと思いました。声をより力強く、そして落ち着いたものにするために、懸命に練習しました。シャツの上にスーツのジャケットを羽織り、練習を重ねるたびに自信が増していくのを感じました。
・significant(形容詞) : 大した、重大な
・previous(形容詞) : 以前の
・switch from ~ to ~ : ~から~に変える
・professional(形容詞) : 職業上の
・display(動詞) : 表す
・tirelessly(副詞) : 疲れを知らずに
最終プレゼンテーションが始まったとき、当然ながら私は緊張していました。しかし次第に心が落ち着いていくのを感じました。私ははっきりと話すことができ、追加の質問にも言葉に詰まることなく答えることができました。その瞬間本当に自信があると感じました。そのとき、不安に支配されるか、それを乗り越える新しい方法を見つけるかは自分次第なのだと理解しました。自信のある発表者になる為の唯一の正解はありません。しかし、あの歌手のおかげで私たちは自分自身の中にある勇気を見つけ、それを育てていく必要があるのだと気付きました。
・flow(動詞) : 流れる
・trip over ~につまずく
・anxiety(名詞) : 不安
・overcome : 乗り越える
・uncover(動詞) : 見つける、発見する
不正解
内気な性格を受け入れたという意味です。
Rickは内気な性格を変えようと努力したため不正解です。
不正解
次の彼女のコンサートに行くことを決めたという意味です。
本文に記載がないため不正解です。
不正解
授業に行く新しい方法を見つけたという意味です。
授業への行き方ではなく、プレゼンテーションの仕方・自身の持ち方の内容のため不正解です。
正解
彼女の劇的な変化から学んだという意味です。
2段落目の中盤に、She had switched from soft−rock to classical jazz, and her style of clothes had also changed. I thought she was taking a huge professional risk, but she displayed such confidence with her new style that I was inspired. I would change my sound and my look, too. I worked tirelessly to make my voice both bolder and calmer(ソフトロックからクラシックジャズへと音楽スタイルを変え、服装のスタイルも変わっていました。私は、彼女が非常に大きな職業上のリスクを取っているのだと思いました。しかし、新しいスタイルをとても自身を持って表現しており、強く刺激を受けました。自分も声や見た目を変えてみようと思いました。声をより力強く、そして落ち着いたものにするために、懸命に練習しました).と記載があります。つまり、歌手の「大きな変化」から学び、それを自分に取り入れたことが明確に述べられているため正解です。
・dramatic(形容詞) : 劇的な
歌手の「音楽スタイルの変更」「服装の変更」「大きなリスクを恐れない姿勢」に感動し、Rickは自分も変わろうと決意した様子が述べられています。
参考になった数0
この解説の修正を提案する
前の問題(問18)へ
令和5年度(2023年度)追・再試験 問題一覧
次の問題(問23)へ