共通テスト(英語) 過去問
令和5年度(2023年度)追・再試験
問18 (<旧課程>英語リーディング(第3問) 問3)
問題文
各問いの英文や図表を読み、解答番号にあてはまるものとして最も適当な選択肢を選びなさい。
You have entered an English speech contest and you are reading an essay to improve your presentation skills.
Gaining Courage
Rick Halston
In my last semester in college, I received an award for my final research presentation. I wasn’t always good at speaking in front of people; in fact, one of my biggest fears was of making speeches. Since my primary school days, my shy personality had never been ideal for public speaking. From my first day of college, I especially feared giving the monthly class presentations. I would practise for hours on end. That helped somewhat, but I still sounded nervous or confused.
A significant change came before my most important presentation when I watched a music video from my favourite singer’s newly released album. I noticed it sounded completely different from her previous work. She had switched from soft−rock to classical jazz, and her style of clothes had also changed. I thought she was taking a huge professional risk, but she displayed such confidence with her new style that I was inspired. I would change my sound and my look, too. I worked tirelessly to make my voice both bolder and calmer. I wore a suit jacket over my shirt, and with each practice, I felt my confidence grow.
When I started my final presentation, naturally, I was nervous, but gradually a sense of calm flowed through me. I was able to speak with clarity and answer the follow−up questions without tripping over my words. At that moment, I actually felt confident. Right then, I understood that we can either allow anxiety to control us or find new ways to overcome it. There is no single clear way to become a confident presenter, but thanks to that singer I realised that we need to uncover and develop our own courage.
Put the following events(①〜④)into the order in which they happened.
( 18 ) → ( 19 ) → ( 20 ) → ( 21 )
a. He felt nervous at the start of his final presentation.
b. He made short presentations on a regular basis.
c. He was given a prize for his presentation.
d. He was motivated to take a risk and act more confidently.
You have entered an English speech contest and you are reading an essay to improve your presentation skills.
Gaining Courage
Rick Halston
In my last semester in college, I received an award for my final research presentation. I wasn’t always good at speaking in front of people; in fact, one of my biggest fears was of making speeches. Since my primary school days, my shy personality had never been ideal for public speaking. From my first day of college, I especially feared giving the monthly class presentations. I would practise for hours on end. That helped somewhat, but I still sounded nervous or confused.
A significant change came before my most important presentation when I watched a music video from my favourite singer’s newly released album. I noticed it sounded completely different from her previous work. She had switched from soft−rock to classical jazz, and her style of clothes had also changed. I thought she was taking a huge professional risk, but she displayed such confidence with her new style that I was inspired. I would change my sound and my look, too. I worked tirelessly to make my voice both bolder and calmer. I wore a suit jacket over my shirt, and with each practice, I felt my confidence grow.
When I started my final presentation, naturally, I was nervous, but gradually a sense of calm flowed through me. I was able to speak with clarity and answer the follow−up questions without tripping over my words. At that moment, I actually felt confident. Right then, I understood that we can either allow anxiety to control us or find new ways to overcome it. There is no single clear way to become a confident presenter, but thanks to that singer I realised that we need to uncover and develop our own courage.
Put the following events(①〜④)into the order in which they happened.
( 18 ) → ( 19 ) → ( 20 ) → ( 21 )
a. He felt nervous at the start of his final presentation.
b. He made short presentations on a regular basis.
c. He was given a prize for his presentation.
d. He was motivated to take a risk and act more confidently.
このページは閲覧用ページです。
履歴を残すには、 「新しく出題する(ここをクリック)」 をご利用ください。
問題
共通テスト(英語)試験 令和5年度(2023年度)追・再試験 問18(<旧課程>英語リーディング(第3問) 問3) (訂正依頼・報告はこちら)
各問いの英文や図表を読み、解答番号にあてはまるものとして最も適当な選択肢を選びなさい。
You have entered an English speech contest and you are reading an essay to improve your presentation skills.
Gaining Courage
Rick Halston
In my last semester in college, I received an award for my final research presentation. I wasn’t always good at speaking in front of people; in fact, one of my biggest fears was of making speeches. Since my primary school days, my shy personality had never been ideal for public speaking. From my first day of college, I especially feared giving the monthly class presentations. I would practise for hours on end. That helped somewhat, but I still sounded nervous or confused.
A significant change came before my most important presentation when I watched a music video from my favourite singer’s newly released album. I noticed it sounded completely different from her previous work. She had switched from soft−rock to classical jazz, and her style of clothes had also changed. I thought she was taking a huge professional risk, but she displayed such confidence with her new style that I was inspired. I would change my sound and my look, too. I worked tirelessly to make my voice both bolder and calmer. I wore a suit jacket over my shirt, and with each practice, I felt my confidence grow.
When I started my final presentation, naturally, I was nervous, but gradually a sense of calm flowed through me. I was able to speak with clarity and answer the follow−up questions without tripping over my words. At that moment, I actually felt confident. Right then, I understood that we can either allow anxiety to control us or find new ways to overcome it. There is no single clear way to become a confident presenter, but thanks to that singer I realised that we need to uncover and develop our own courage.
Put the following events(①〜④)into the order in which they happened.
( 18 ) → ( 19 ) → ( 20 ) → ( 21 )
a. He felt nervous at the start of his final presentation.
b. He made short presentations on a regular basis.
c. He was given a prize for his presentation.
d. He was motivated to take a risk and act more confidently.
You have entered an English speech contest and you are reading an essay to improve your presentation skills.
Gaining Courage
Rick Halston
In my last semester in college, I received an award for my final research presentation. I wasn’t always good at speaking in front of people; in fact, one of my biggest fears was of making speeches. Since my primary school days, my shy personality had never been ideal for public speaking. From my first day of college, I especially feared giving the monthly class presentations. I would practise for hours on end. That helped somewhat, but I still sounded nervous or confused.
A significant change came before my most important presentation when I watched a music video from my favourite singer’s newly released album. I noticed it sounded completely different from her previous work. She had switched from soft−rock to classical jazz, and her style of clothes had also changed. I thought she was taking a huge professional risk, but she displayed such confidence with her new style that I was inspired. I would change my sound and my look, too. I worked tirelessly to make my voice both bolder and calmer. I wore a suit jacket over my shirt, and with each practice, I felt my confidence grow.
When I started my final presentation, naturally, I was nervous, but gradually a sense of calm flowed through me. I was able to speak with clarity and answer the follow−up questions without tripping over my words. At that moment, I actually felt confident. Right then, I understood that we can either allow anxiety to control us or find new ways to overcome it. There is no single clear way to become a confident presenter, but thanks to that singer I realised that we need to uncover and develop our own courage.
Put the following events(①〜④)into the order in which they happened.
( 18 ) → ( 19 ) → ( 20 ) → ( 21 )
a. He felt nervous at the start of his final presentation.
b. He made short presentations on a regular basis.
c. He was given a prize for his presentation.
d. He was motivated to take a risk and act more confidently.
- a → b → d → c
- a → c → b → d
- b → d → a → c
- b → a → c → d
正解!素晴らしいです
残念...
画像拡大
この過去問の解説 (3件)
01
最も適切なのは、b → d → a → cです。
出来事を時間の順に整理すると、
定期的に短い発表をしていた
↓
歌手に刺激を受け、自信を持って行動しようと思った
↓
最後の研究発表を始めたときに緊張した
↓
その発表で賞を受けた
という流れになります。
本文の最初に「賞を受けた」と書かれていますが、これは結果を先に紹介しているだけです。実際の出来事の順番を本文全体から整理することが大切です。
「定期的に短い発表をした → 自信を持って行動しようと思った → 最後の発表の開始時に緊張した → 賞を受けた」という順番です。
まずRickは大学で、
「monthly class presentations」
という毎月の発表をしていました。
その後、最後の重要な発表を控えているときに、好きな歌手が新しい音楽や服装に挑戦している姿を見ます。Rickはその自信に刺激を受け、自分も話し方や見た目を変えようと考えました。
そして最後の発表では、
「When I started my final presentation, naturally, I was nervous」
とあるように、発表を始めたときは緊張していました。
その発表をうまく終え、最終的に賞を受けています。
したがって、この順番が本文の時系列と一致します。
この問題では、本文に登場する順番ではなく、実際に出来事が起こった時間の順番を整理することがポイントです。
Rickはまず、大学で毎月の発表を経験していました。
その後、
monthly class presentations
↓
歌手の新しい挑戦に刺激を受ける
↓
最後の発表を始めたときに緊張する
↓
発表を終え、賞を受ける
という流れになります。
したがって、出来事の正しい順番は、b → d → a → cです。
参考になった数0
この解説の修正を提案する
02
問題文は
「次の出来事を起こった順序に並べなさい。」
です。
まず各選択肢の意味は
a.「彼は最終のプレゼンが始まる前、緊張していた。」
b. 「彼は定期的に短いプレゼンをしていた。」
c. 「彼はプレゼンで受賞した。」
d. 「彼はリスクをとり、自信を持ってプレゼンしようと鼓舞された。」
これを順番通りに並べていきます。
この問題は、本文に出た順番と実際に起こった順番が異なるパターンです。
したがって、英文に出てきた順番通りに並べると間違えますので注意しましょう。
その違う箇所は、出だしの文。
In my last semester in college. I received an award for my final research presentation.
(大学の前学期、私は研究の最終プレゼンで受賞した。)
とあり、そのあとで、その受賞に至るまでのできごとが述べられています。
つまり、この受賞したというできごとが最後に来る、ということです。
てはその受賞に至るまでのできごとに該当する英文を抜き出していきます。
①From my first day of college, I especially feared giving the monthly class presentations.
(大学初日から、私は特に毎月ある授業でのプレゼンを恐れていた。)
②I thought she was taking a huge professional risk, but she displayed such confidence with her new style that I was inspired. I would change my sound and my look, too.
(彼女(歌手)は大きなプロのリスクをとり、感銘をうけるような新しいスタイルで自信を示した。私は、声や見た目も変えました。)
③When I started my final presentation, naturally, I was nervous,
(最終プレゼンが始まったとき、当然ながら、私は緊張した。)
となります。
そして最後に、冒頭の
In my last semester in college. I received an award for my final research presentation.
(大学の前学期、私は研究の最終プレゼンで受賞した。)
という流れになります。
参考になった数0
この解説の修正を提案する
03
次の出来事を、実際に起こった順番に並べ替える問題です。
訳)
あなたは英語のスピーチコンテストに参加しており、発表のスキルを向上させるためあるエッセイを読んでいます。
勇気を身につけること
Rick Halston
大学の最後の学期に、私は卒業研究の最終プレゼンテーションで賞を受賞しました。しかし、もともと人前で話すのが得意だったわけではありません。実際、スピーチをすることは最大の恐怖の1つでした。小学校の頃から内気な性格の私は、人前で話すことに向いているとは言えませんでした。大学に入学した初日から、特に毎月行われる授業でのプレゼンテーションをとても恐れていました。私は何時間もかけて練習しました。多少役に立ちましたが、それでも緊張していたり、混乱しているように聞こえてしまいました。
・is goot at ~ing : ~ing することが得意
・ideal for ~ : ~に向いている
・somewhat : いくらか
・confused(形容詞) : 混乱した
最も重要なプレゼンテーションの前に大きな変化が起きました。それは好きな歌手が新しく発表したアルバムのミュージックビデオを見たときでした。その音楽は、彼女のこれまでの作品とはまったく違っていました。ソフトロックからクラシックジャズへと音楽スタイルを変え、服装のスタイルも変わっていました。私は、彼女が非常に大きな職業上のリスクを取っているのだと思いました。しかし、新しいスタイルをとても自身を持って表現しており、強く刺激を受けました。自分も声や見た目を変えてみようと思いました。声をより力強く、そして落ち着いたものにするために、懸命に練習しました。シャツの上にスーツのジャケットを羽織り、練習を重ねるたびに自信が増していくのを感じました。
・significant(形容詞) : 大した、重大な
・previous(形容詞) : 以前の
・switch from ~ to ~ : ~から~に変える
・professional(形容詞) : 職業上の
・display(動詞) : 表す
・tirelessly(副詞) : 疲れを知らずに
最終プレゼンテーションが始まったとき、当然ながら私は緊張していました。しかし次第に心が落ち着いていくのを感じました。私ははっきりと話すことができ、追加の質問にも言葉に詰まることなく答えることができました。その瞬間本当に自信があると感じました。そのとき、不安に支配されるか、それを乗り越える新しい方法を見つけるかは自分次第なのだと理解しました。自信のある発表者になる為の唯一の正解はありません。しかし、あの歌手のおかげで私たちは自分自身の中にある勇気を見つけ、それを育てていく必要があるのだと気付きました。
・flow(動詞) : 流れる
・trip over ~につまずく
・anxiety(名詞) : 不安
・overcome : 乗り越える
・uncover(動詞) : 見つける、発見する
a. 最終プレゼンテーションの最初とても緊張していた。
b. 定期的に短いプレゼンテーションを行っていた。
c. 発表で賞をもらった。
d. リスクを取って、より自信を持って行動しようと思った。
正解
①1段落目の中盤に、From my first day of college, I especially feared giving the monthly class presentations(大学に入学した初日から、特に毎月行われる授業でのプレゼンテーションをとても恐れていました).=定期的に行っていた。
②2段落目の中盤に、I thought she was taking a huge professional risk, but she displayed such confidence with her new style that I was inspired. I would change my sound and my look, too(私は、彼女が非常に大きな職業上のリスクを取っているのだと思いました。しかし、新しいスタイルをとても自身を持って表現しており、強く刺激を受けました).=「自分も変えよう。もっと大胆にしよう」と決意。
③3段落目の文頭に、When I started my final presentation, naturally, I was nervous(最終プレゼンテーションが始まったとき、当然ながら私は緊張していました).=開始時は緊張した。
④1段落目の文頭に、In my last semester in college, I received an award for my final research presentation(大学の最後の学期に、私は卒業研究の最終発表で賞を受賞しました).=時系列的には「最後の結果」
よってこの選択肢が正解になります。
本文の最初の文が時系列的には最後の結果です。
最初の出来事と混同しないようにしましょう。
参考になった数0
この解説の修正を提案する
前の問題(問17)へ
令和5年度(2023年度)追・再試験 問題一覧
次の問題(問22)へ